Thursday, May 10, 2007

Called 911 Again....

Yep, I got to make another call to 911 (the last time was in October to get an ambulance). This time I made it while I was in Wal-Mart. Because....

My wallet was stolen. Right behind my back. I didn't actually see it happen, but I was about 5 seconds too late. Here's my story:

Jonathan had a night-flight. He had one Monday and I stayed home to get some post-trip good laundry, cleaning, etc done. I usually go to the grocery during the day, while he's at work. This of course cuts into my work hours turned in, but I either just work more those evenings, or take the loss. Not a big deal. However, since he had a night flight again, and our fridge was bare, I decided to do my grocery shopping Wednesday night. I was going to get it done at the Commissary on base, then drop by Target for something, and then get a Starbucks on the way home. Because Warner Robins just got their very own Starbucks. No more 30 minute drives into Macon to get one.

J & I both left the house about 7:30 and I arrived at the Commissary only to learn they close at 8. I got a few things and checked out. Decided Wal-Mart was my next best option (it's straight across from Sbux). Went in and proceeded to get about 10 items. I was in the snack aisle (Aisle 10) and had my purse (closed or semi open? not sure, it's a foldover) in the top of the basket. I was faced away from it scrutinizing the Rice Cakes. I'm alone in the aisle, when two guys passed behind me a little too close to my cart for comfort. I looked into my now fully-open purse to see NO WALLET. I see one of them stick something in his pockets. I grabbed my purse up and went after them. "Did you take my wallet?" I question. The hurry away and I tell them, "Please, if you took my wallet just give it to me and I won't report you." At this point, they split up and hurry away, telling me I'm imagining things. I cry out (loud but not screaming), "Help me! These guys took my wallet." A young man that appaered to have military bearings to me looked at me & asked if they took my wallet. He helped me follow them and confronted them. He is the true Good Samaritan. He didn't have to. He had a pretty little wife with him and could have been concerned for his & her safety. But he was righteous. Other men heard me and saw what was happening, and just watched or turned away. So many people just letting evil happen, standing by doing nothing to soil their hands. Thanks God for One. Meanwhile, I'm following Guy #1 and I call 911. I quickly got through & explained the situation. Security wasn't around, but I got to the front of the store and told a cashier. Workers (ladies, really) immediately got around me and confronted the guy. Guy #2 was missing. Guy #1 was cursing and slapping his pants saying "Look in my pockets! This lady says I took her wallet. *#&*$#*" But innocent people don't run. They don't split up. They avoid the appearance of evil. They're not uber-defensive.

The police eventually got there, met up with both guys, got their stories, searched them & their car (more guys appeared now, not sure from where), & got my story. They said they'd look at the security camera, especially since I knew the location and time (2037, according to my 911 call, which was seconds after) The Wal-Mart employees and manager were SO VERY nice. They kept someone with me, talked to me, gave me a hug, and apologized a lot that this happened in their store. I can't commend them enough. Without a wallet, the police can't make an arrest. I told the officer I understood and I'd rather a guilty man go free than an innocent man be punished. I mean that. I was a little shaken up and J completely unreachable, so I called Daddy. He was so kind and sweet and reassuring. He told me what to expect. And the Good Samaritan? He came up & told what he knew to the police, and then came to check on me before he left the store! God bless that man, for doing right. Really.

The funny part about it? I don't think I even had 50 cents in the wallet! No cash, zippo! I canceled all the credit cards and the two gift cards I had in there I got canceled too - with no fraudulent charges on them! My biggest worry was the Military ID card since it contained both J & my SSN's on it. I will not be keeping that in my wallet anymore. I got it replaced, and a Fraud Alert set for our SSN's. Hopefully that will help.

I was scared I was being followed when I drove home (not because it actually looked like it, it was an unfounded fear because I was alone). I was not mad I was stolen from (especially since I didn't "lose" much of value, especially to them). We've had our ipod, Starbucks coupons, game cam, J's hunting blind, etc stolen from us (by movers & construction workers). People steal, the world is fallen. We weren't a specific target, it just happened. I was mad my husband was gone yet again for a tramautic event for me. Of course, had he been there, I doubt I'd have been the victim. Dealing with my feelings hasn't been easy - but I do have to recognize didn't God orchestrate it all? This didn't happen apart from His Sovereignty. Maybe he has all these things happen so I can learn, but also so J and I can work on our communication and relating to one another. I know I can grow.

Anyway, by this morning all's well and my Driver's Licence is all I have to get taken care of. I may be stolen from in the future, but it won't be the same way as this. I hope I've learned something.

No comments:

TickerShack.com Ticker