Saturday, January 17, 2009

Baby Update

Got an update on yesterday's appt. The ultrasound went well, although the overall appt wasn't terrific.

Baby measures about 6lb8oz, which they said was smaller than they like (they want more like 7lbs, but honestly this sounds fine to me). Her gestational age is measuring about 36wk5days when I was 39wk2days. So a bit behind, but again the midwife said I could genetically be programmed to have small babies (as a side note, my sister has had both 8lb+ babies, but both Jonathan and my mom are only 5ft tall and have had smaller babies). The amniotic fluid level was 8.2, which my reading says it should be between 5-20, but varies day-to-day based on my liquids consumed, u/s tech's mesurements, etc. They ordered a NST (non stress test) on the baby which went fine.

The hard part was they used all this info to tell us that when a baby isn't growing "great" inside they like to take it out to feed it. :) So they wanted to talk about inducing me on Wednesday (my due date, ironically). Both Jonathan and I were not convinced the baby's health or safety is really even slightly in jeopardy here, so we are not real open to that. They have me scheduled to come in Tuesday for another NST, but they did "schedule" the induction for Wednesday night (just in case the NST went really poorly, for example). I felt very anxious and all of a sudden like I had this clock ticking away against me! Jonathan was such a help in holding the line and standing up for what our plans are to try. We just don't feel peace that it's the right time to induce, when given no concrete/compelling reasons yet. We are open to it if the baby were at all in distress, but we just don't think she is. We'd like to be a week out from my due date before considering inducing.

Please join us in praying for her to maker her arrival soon - on her own! - and that we would have wisdom with any decisions we have to face, that we'll hear God and know His will.

6 comments:

Susannah Forshey said...

Yes, yes, YES! I am totally with you on this one. I will be lifting you guys up in prayer every day, dear Denise! Yay for Jonathan standing up to the Doctors! Hopefully he won't have to do that too many more times.... :) You guys are wrapped in prayers.

Rebecca said...

Denise,

I try not to be too opinionated about medical situations that aren't my own, but it sure seems like there is a lot of worry for not very good reasons from your Doctor. Kathryn was 6 lbs. 9 oz. when she was born and completely healthy (I was kind of glad to have a small baby anyway!) Also, the size of the baby from the ultrasound, from what I've heard, is a rough estimate at best. I find that very odd that they are pushing for an inducement on your due date, especially when you're wanting to have her naturally. Obviously the Lord knows best and has given doctors to bring wisdom in these situations, but I would think it's fine to voice your preference and try to work with the doctor on this one as long as the stress tests are coming up normal. That being said, I will pray that your sweet girl will decide to come on her own on time. So excited for you!

Love,
Rebecca

Lindsay said...

Okay, so being and L&D nurse myself....It's really good that the NST was good. I would be quite concerned if it wasn't.
Definitely seems like a small baby, but ultrasounds for weight can be off a pound either way, and they usually are. So you are probably fine in that department.
Definitely go with what you and Jonathan feel like the Lord is telling you. I am really not for inductions at all unless medically necessary, like an unreactive NST. If your body isn't ready, it isn't ready and oftens ends up buying these poor women c-sections.
My one caution, and please don't think I am discouraging you in any way with this.... I know you have a birth plan but please know that it may not match the one God has for you. Don't get too caught up in your plan. Women who come in with plans typically don't get what they planned for. That is so not to be discouraging, I just want you to be prepared and know that God will do what is best for you and the baby. I just want you to be able to relax as much as possible and let your body do the work and be able to be flexible if your midwife thinks you need to alter things some. I will totally be praying that you get to enjoy what you have planned!
And I'll be praying she comes soon on her own!

Herb of Grace said...

I'm praying for you guys every day. I don't want to be pushy, but I have a ton a tricks to help encourage a reluctant uterus to "get on the ball" so to speak. If you want to try some stuff (totally non-medical and very mild-- won't work at all if your body's just not ready, but might help push you over the edge if you're just malingering ;), give me a call and I"ll tell you about it all. None of it worked with Sofi (four weeks late), but it did with Judah (two weeks late).

Claudia said...

Um, yeah I don't have any advice given that I have no experience :-) BUT I can definitely pray!

love ya'll!

Carolyn said...

I don't know what the best course of action is, but I will be praying for you!!!